Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Going Back in Time!!!

After much deliberation, I'm going back to my hometown in January. I studied conditions in both Portland and Seattle, and I ended up choosing the Emerald City. The City of Roses won in several categories, including transportation, cost of living, and men-to-women ratio. However, the decision came down to John Cusack and a puppy.
Let me explain. Part of the selection process was based on watching a movie filmed in each city, and judging each film on its merit and lasting impact on, um...okay, I just chose the one I liked better. Portland's landmark film was "Drugstore Cowboy," and Seattle's big flick was "Say Anything."
"Drugstore Cowboy," directed in 1989 by Gus Van Sant ("To Die For," "Good Will Hunting," "Milk"), is an artful tale of a group of junkies who scam and rob drugstores in 1970s Stumptown. It features an outstanding performance by Matt Dillon, who is fearless and delusional and caring and aloof and conniving - in short, an accurate portrayal of an addict. The seedy setting is one of the reasons this movie works, and Heather Graham's appearance doesn't hurt.
But who is more adorable and charming and perfect than Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) in "Say Anything?" The answer is: Ferris Bueller. Unfortunately, the city of Chicago is not a serious candidate. Cameron Crowe's directorial debut in 1989 matches the genius of John Hughes' pictures, plus a bit edgier. This movie is an achingly perfect love story and great from start to finish. It includes a surprising performance by Lili Taylor and superb cameos by Eric Stoltz, Bebe Neuwirth, and Joan Cusack. Like Lloyd's repeated phone messages on Diane's answering machine, I just could not ignore this film or say "No" to Seatown.
Second matter of business: I have been promised a puppy. When I move in with my friends into a house, two of them are getting a dog. Which means I will be an uncle.

So I chose Seattle.
In the words of Mr. Dobler, "I am looking for a dare to be great situation."

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you didn't watch another Matt Dillon "Seattle" movie - Singles. That dreadful movie would have sent you running from the Jet City.

    I would also like to say, 2 factors you may have overlooked in the Rose City's favor are:
    a) The highest concentration of strippers per capita of any city in the US.
    b) Voodoo Doughnut

    ReplyDelete