Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Best Roast Beef Sandwich In Washington State

I just asked myself, "Jamie, aren't you working on a novel? Why are you blogging again?"

The answer I gave myself is: "I have trouble focusing on one thing for very long. Call it attention-deficit disorder, if you like, but I would liken it to multi-tasking and not placing any limits on my creativity. I will continue working on my novel tomorrow and get to my goal of 5,000 words. So leave me alone, guilty personality."

For the moment, let's concentrate on the demise of one of our most lovable American franchises, Arby's. I recently read an article on Slate about the decline of this fast food restaurant, while other franchises like McDonald's are seeing profit gains. The writer claims that Arby's (a) has not changed its menu to include seemingly-nutritious items (like the McDonald's salads, which are not that healthy), (b) it does not offer any popular items besides its sandwiches (like Wendy's original Frosty), and (c) it hasn't had a memorable ad campaign (since forever ago). Furthermore, Arby's has allegedly suffered by merging with Wendy's in 2008.
I visited an Arby's on a lunch break to see how the atmosphere compared to other successful fast food restaurants. After ordering and eating my meal, I'm a little baffled why Arby's are failing around the country. The restaurant on 15021 Pacific Avenue S. in Tacoma may be some anomaly in the whole Arby's culture, but that place has the best customer service of any fast food joint I've been in. I expect about half of all fast food cashiers to be apathetic and indifferent about their jobs, and it's sort of understandable. Many of the employees are teenagers who would rather be doing something fun then standing behind a counter wearing brightly-colored uniforms and pretending to be friendly. The young man who helped me with my order kept addressing me as "sir," which I think shows a mark of respect toward customers (call me old-fashioned). He was polite and smiled often, and it felt genuine.
I should tell you this is not the first time I've been here, and I felt exactly the same way when I interacted with another employee. Arby's is definitely doing something right. It just doesn't involve flashy ad campaigns that involve blockbuster movies or popular boardgames. At least this particular restaurant is hiring great employees and training them to provide first-class service. In addition, the Arby's I visited has two bells posted at each entrance. Next to the bell reads a placard that says: "Ring For Great Service!" On my way out the door, I did not hesitate to make some noise. I think this is a fantastic way to create a fun environment that rewards employees and invites customers to show their appreciation.
In regards to the food, I have to say the curly fries are pretty tasty. Second, Arby's is unique in offering Arby's original sauce and Horsey sauce, and allowing customers to put as much sauce as they want on a sandwich.
Not sure what Arby's needs to do to stay relevant. Perhaps it needs to come up with a character more captivating than "Oven Mitt." I don't think it needs to offer more healthy food. I don't go to Dairy Queen because I want apple slices. I want a frickin' Blizzard! For the same reason, I want to be able to drown my roast beef sandwich in Arby's sauce. I have a much better view of Arby's than Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., or Taco Bell, because I've never gotten sick from one of its sandwiches. That fact, however, can't be communicated in a commercial or print ad. "It doesn't cause diarrhea" doesn't sit well (no pun intended). Maybe the franchise needs an elite celebrity endorsement, such as the man discussed below.

********************
For some reason, I can't get the Poll gadget on my blog to work (thanks, Scott, for letting me know). It requires users to sign in, and I don't know how to deactivate that. So here's my poll for the day, which may require you to listen to Journey songs on youtube.

How much do you love Steve Perry?
A. Separate Ways
B. Open Arms
C. Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'

1 comment:

  1. I love Arby's. The Bellevue location (or is it Redmond over by Overlake?) is one of the few fast food joints I visit and I wish there was one closer to my office. The roast beef & cheddar sammich is delicious, as are the curly fries. And finding those Arby's coupons in my mailbox every few weeks is like discovering treasure. If they need a spokesman, I'm available.

    Oh, and C.

    ReplyDelete