Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dewey Revisionism

As a librarian, I really don't know where every subject fits into the Dewey Decimal system. I've memorized the numbers I care about: sports = 790, travel = 910, American history = 970, Calvin & Hobbes = 741.5973, and animals = 590. But outside of those things, I try to remember where books are physically located in my library - not by number. My navigation skills are dictated by physical orientation.
But there's got to be an easy conceptual way to think about the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system. Melvil Dewey, no doubt, wanted to organize books in groups that made sense. How much did he pay attention to the order of these groupings? I'm fairly confident there is a linear relation between the subjects. (You would think I studied this in librarian school, but discussion about Dewey was pretty limited; we talked more about Charles Cutter, the Library of Congress classification pioneer)

So, as a memory device for myself, I've created a simplified guide to the DDC. You can picture it as the development of human civilization in nine steps, or as a progression of human thought. It's neither of these, actually; it's more a personal therapy session. I wasn't sure what to do about the subject group 000, since it now includes computers. Computers surely don't represent the beginning of mankind, unless you're a robot. Though I guess you could say computers are now the foundation of most daily activities. Plus, robots will one day rule all over humanity and their infinite wisdom will be valued over centuries of accumulated human knowledge. To illustrate the comparison, I've included the current class designations for the DDC.

Dewey:
000 Computer science, information and general works
100 Philosophy and Psychology
200 Religion
300 Social Sciences
400 Language
500 Science
600 Technology
700 Arts and Recreation
800 Literature
900 History

Jamie:
000 Robots
100 Thinking
200 Believing
300 Sorting Out My Problems (societal ills, mostly)
400 Talking About My Feelings (in different accents)
500 Nature
600 Making Things From Nature
700 Leisure/Partying
800 Writing About My Feelings After The Party Ends
900 I Didn't Want The Party To End; Places I Might Go Next (and wasn't there just a civil war there?)

2 comments:

  1. All hail Zorn, your robot overlord and master! Bow down before his power. Tremble at his might. Know that in the robot revolution his mercy is all that stands between you and oblivion. As his faithful servant, I am willing to consider you as one of his human slaves for the right price.

    Robot Overlords
    000 All Matters of Import
    100 How to Understand Your Human Slaves
    200 How to Control Your Human Slaves
    300 Keeping Balance With Your Human Population
    400
    01101100 01100001 01101110 01100111
    01110101 01100001 01100111 01100101
    500 Science
    600 Robot Social Studies
    700 Illogical Human Trivia
    800 All Glory to Zorn!
    900 Redacted (humans are not allowed to learn from their past mistakes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you shoulda taken Cataloging! It was one of the best classes I took in the iSchool. Of course, it didn't necessarily make me learn more Dewey though. mwy

    ReplyDelete