Thursday, February 26, 2009

Prediction: Cuba Beats South Africa


So it's the first day of baseball spring training.
But let's not forget we're only a week away from the World Baseball Classic.
Before we start salivating over the highly-contested Australia-Mexico match-up, I would like to know how a player qualifies for a team.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, this is why Padres outfielder Scott Hairston is playing for Team Mexico:

"Hairston doesn't speak Spanish, but his mother, Esperanza, was born in Mexico and Hairston has several relatives in Hermosillo. “I love the culture and I am proud to represent Mexico,” he said."

Given this reasoning, I'm announcing my intention to play for the Costa Rican racquetball team. When I visited C.R. this past summer, I really enjoyed the beer and the daiquiris. And I have a ton of respect for the flag colors, and I appreciate that monkeys did not steal my backpack. I'm so proud to represent Costa Rica.

Wait a second. Didn't Alex Rodriguez say he was going to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC this spring (even though he was born in the United States)? In December, he said:

"I am 100 percent sure that I will play for the Dominican Republic team," he said. "This time, there will be no doubts and it is a dream of my mom's that I intend to fulfill."

Over a month later, A-Rod said he would be playing for the stars and stripes.
Hmmm. I don't see him on the U.S. roster anymore. Wander what happened?
Oh.
That.

1 comment:

  1. And I'll proudly represent Denmark since I visited that fine country about 6 years ago and I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the country at the time that new the rules of baseball. And since there are a lot of beautiful women there, I'm hoping that representing them will improve my odds.

    ReplyDelete