Wednesday, February 25, 2009

(no subject)

So I received an e-mail the other day that started like this:

"Hi there!
It has been long time since we did not meet. I hope everything is okay with you."

A promising start, right? Then, things take a strange turn:

"I found a great medicine shop on the net. I ordered some meds and got my orders in 3 days to my postbox. They are cheap and quality."

At this point, I realized that a spam message had made its way through the g-mail filter. It was not a friendly message from "cindy22." It was a sales pitch for generic anti-depressants, antibiotics, sleep aids, ED drugs and weight loss medicines. The e-mail was informing me about an online pharmacy in...Canada! Yet the phone number has a 210 area code - San Antonio, Texas! To add to the confusion, the message included the phrase "Always making you a happy customer," which does not sound like North American English to me - more like something on the cover of a takeout menu. I'm not going to spend any more time researching the origins of this online company, but why did I open the message up to begin with?

Maybe it's because I find the name "Cindy" a little alluring. I would much rather open a message from "Cindy" than "Esther," "Myrtle," or "Ida."
This led me to create a list of other names I find attractive:
Monique, Vanessa, Cindy, Alyssa, Stacey, Crystal, Nadia, Maria, Ashley, Jessica, Sienna, Nikki, Natasha, Veronica, Michelle, Bella, Kristina, Joanna, Melissa, and of course, Svetlana.
This may seem a little weird to you, but at least I know what to not name my daughter. Although maybe today's Natasha will be tomorrow's Mildred.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry dude, I have dibs on all girls named Veronica (or at least who's telivision characters are.) :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I've got dibs on Chastity, Barbie, Lexie, Candy, Angel, or anything else you might hear following the announcement, "now on the main stage..."

    ReplyDelete