Monday, August 10, 2009

Woofstock 2009!

Yesterday, I was walking near the campus of the University of Puget Sound, and I noticed something unusual. Several people were parking their cars and unloading their pets. What could explain this mass exodus of pooch owners? I decided to follow the stream of leashed dogs, and I came upon a large lawn filled with dozens of booths and a rock band tuning their instruments. A traffic sign posted near the stage read: "Pets Adopted: 85."

Below the stage was another sign: "Woofstock: Pet Adoption Music Festival."

Forty years after Jimi Hendrix's memorable rendition of the Star Spangled Banner in Woodstock, New York, a lovefest of a different kind was taking place in Tacoma, Washington. Though the t-shirts for sale are tie-dye (and the pscyhedelic font is used to spell out "Woofstock"), no one here appeared to be a hippie. It was just a bunch of people with confused dogs, enjoying the sun and listening to rock music.
If I was a dog, I would be a bit mystified at the events. "Okay, let me off leash now and play with these other dogs! I am a free spirit and this is the summer of love, man." Woofstock, in fact, is not a festival promoting carefree amorous relations between canines. In the parking lot is an ominous truck called the "Spay Station" (above). Looks can be deceiving. On the outside of the truck, a dog and cat astronaut are frolicking on the surface of the moon. Yet inside, I suspect nothing comparable to a spacewalk is going on. Unless you equate the loss of sexual organs to bouncing around in an atmosphere of low gravity.
The highlight for some dogs were the six or seven kiddie pools positioned on the edge of the fair. Some would jump in and twist around wildly, challenging their owners to hang on to the leashes and not get drenched. Other pups would stand there hestitantly, thinking this might be a precursor to a bath, but appreciating the cool water.
Perhaps the strangest thing at Woofstock was the appearance of Heart's former bassist, Steve Fossen. He played a set of three songs with the Kenmore band Somar (pronounced Summer, named after the lead singer, Somar Macek) - all Heart cover songs - predictably "Crazy On You," "Magic Man," and "Barracuda" (which I now always associate with playing "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas").
When last I checked, the pet adoption total was up to 106. I have to admit, Woofstock is a more comfortable place to consider adoption. You're introduced to pets in a more natural setting - versus a row of sad cages in a flourescent-lit shelter.
I think many of the dogs and cats can echo the simple lyrics of Somar's rock ballad:

Take me to your dreams
Take good care of mine
Tell me that you love me one last time
In my darkest hour
I go to sleep at night
In my dreams everything's alright

No comments:

Post a Comment