Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The End Of An Era

If you consider an era to span 6 months...

My time as a (paying) online dater is over. The Match.com experiment has come to a close. And unlike this guy, I haven't found "the one."
Here are some lessons I've taken from my experience and why I'm not re-upping for another $100:

[Disclaimer: I've made three friends through this process, which was one of my goals. When I moved to Tacoma, I wanted to meet people - so it achieved those ends. So I don't believe it was a waste of time or money. But to continue on this path would probably be frustrating.]

I'm pretty shallow-minded. During my search for prospective mates, the focus was primarily on the photos. If the pictures interested me, I would read parts of the bios and decide if there are any mutual interests, red flags, or intriguing statements. If there was no photo posted, I wouldn't even spend a second looking at the profile.

It's easier to be inconsiderate/dismissive online. Out of all the e-mails I initiated to women, I never received a response back (I only met women when they "winked" or e-mailed me first). I'm not saying this is remarkably different from other forms of communication. Women can choose to ignore you in a number of ways. But a match.com e-mail is easier to disregard than an in-person encounter, a phone call, or text message. So I'm basically paying to be ignored. I don't need to spend money to do that.

Where are all the Tacoma women? This is what I sometimes shout outside my apartment window, and there is only the sound of crickets and hobos. There are lots of women from the Seattle area, but not much to choose from in my hometown.

Too many people like John Grisham. If a woman puts "something by John Grisham" or "Grisham's latest" as the last book she's read, that means she doesn't read. Ever. In this situation, I would prefer honesty. To that woman who wrote "US Weekly," I applaud you.

Women who "love the Seahawks" are actually heavy drinkers.
I refuse to believe that there are so many genuine women football fans in the Seattle area. The percentage of pictures of women in Seahawk colors is astounding. Is this an attempt to attract men or can they actually name three wide receivers on the Seattle roster? Neither. They like having an excuse to party on Sunday. Now I think about it, this might be a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what's next?
Free dating sites are a possibility (such as plentyoffish.com and okcupid.com). How do the crowds differ on paying sites versus non-paying sites? I am thinking of setting up different types of profiles on these sites, and see what happens. What personality of Jamie is the most appealing?
(a) cocky and career-focused
(b) funny and self-deprecating
(c) obssessed with Rick Springfield
(d) Son of God
(e) relative of Osama bin Laden

1 comment:

  1. I would like to see how much luck the naive but open minded Jamie has with the women of Tacoma.

    And just because you're the only Charger fan in the city doesn't mean that a relationship with a Seahawks fan wouldn't work. Just come to grips with the fact that they are better than you and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete