Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tournament Saturation

Three straight days of watching television, drinking beer, and eating pork products - that's what NCAA tournament time means in my little corner of the world. I headed forty miles up the road to Seattle to hang out at Charles' place and watch the basketball games on CBS. We took breaks to go to the grocery store, play video games and to go to a rock concert (Devon's band - Skeletons With Flesh On Them). Most of the time, though, my butt was parked safely on the couch. I'm a little discouraged about my bracket picks, because everyone else in the tourney pool is making smart picks. Usually, there's a few people who go out on a limb and choose really absurd Final Four teams. However, at the end of the second round, everyone's predicted champion is active and playing in the Sweet Sixteen.
Here is how the champion picks are distributed among the pool competitors:
Louisville (6), Pittsburgh (4), Duke (4), North Carolina (3), Memphis (3), Connecticut (2), Kansas (1), Oklahoma (1)

Given all of the participants' early success, maybe I shouldn't spend too much time selecting a charity (the proceeds are going to an charitable organization of the victor's choice). How do I decide who would most benefit from $340? Dogs? Poor people? The arts? A church? A school? A polluted area? There are so many needy people, animals and places...and I'm just thinking about regional causes. Personally, I'm leaning toward helping kids and pets. It's only natural to try to protect the cute and vulnerable. I'm narrowing it down to either a youth after school program or an animal shelter in my area. What are your suggestions?

(Photo courtesy of Charles - this weekend's liquid intake for four people. It's important to stay hydrated during the Madness.)

2 comments:

  1. I suggest you open a petting zoo for children in an underprivilaged neighborhood; thus taking care of people, places, and cute animals all in one fair swoop. Too bad you won't be winning, but I will, and I'll be donating it to less-than-worthy charities like the Hedge-fund dudes who need 3 for $5 Pizza Hut deals. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's important to remind you what percentage of those bottles i singlehandedly accounted for. those motherfuckers defined drinkability.

    in closing: i hope the entire west virginia mountaineer squad gets hit by a meteor. no pittsnoggle, you.

    ReplyDelete