Thursday, March 8, 2012

Introducing You to HSIR - Guaranteed Results!

Are you having a case of the bracket blues?

Are you uneasy about your picks, because you don't know the difference between Marquette and Michigan?

Well, I understand your agony. I've been there every spring - staring at the screen of laptop and praying for answers.

I know how it feels to complete a bracket with no confidence.


But then I found a solution.


After a decade of being frustrated with my March Madness picks, I created a system that delivers results. It predicts the success of each tournament team by analyzing 12 statistical categories, and I guarantee it's a 12-step program that works. In fact, it's never failed...because this is the first time I've tried it. It's called HSIR, the Hancock Statistical Index Rankings, and it's like 5 Hour Energy Drink for your brackets. Trust me, you'll feel invigorated.


While calculating the rankings, I focused on only the teams that will most likely be seeded No. 1 through No. 5 in each region. Every year I've been following the tournament, the Final Four Champion has come out of this grouping of 20 elite teams. A couple worthy teams were left out, like Murray State and Creighton, but I chose the twenty teams based on the projections of several bracketologists.


Then I measured each team's proficiency in the following categories: rebounds per game, effective FG% (shooting stat that gives more value to three pointers), offensive rebound %, FTA/FGA (free throws attempted per field goal attempted), turnover %, points allowed per game, opponents' effective FG%, blocks per game, and steals per game. In every category, a team received a score ranging from 0 to 4. I got all of this information from teamrankings.com and compiled a really cool spreadsheet - one that would make Robert proud, and even more complex than his foosball game tracker. In addition to the above stats, I gave one bonus point to each team for each of these achievements: winning record against the Top 25, 80% winning percentage in the last 10 games, and 60% winning percentage on the road.


(Disclaimer: This is data gathered before conference tournaments started)


All said, I put more energy into the HSIR than I put into my day job. My workplace production was negatively impacted even before the conclusion of the Pac-12 tournament. Without further ado, here are the team rankings (out of a possible 39 points):


  1. Kentucky - 32

  2. Syracuse - 30


  3. North Carolina - 27


  4. Michigan State - 27


  5. Kansas - 26


  6. Ohio State - 24


  7. Wichita State - 24


  8. Marquette - 23


  9. Georgetown -23


  10. Louisville - 23


  11. Duke - 22


  12. Missouri - 21


  13. Baylor - 21


  14. UNLV - 21


  15. Florida State - 21


  16. Wisconsin - 20


  17. Temple - 20


  18. Indiana - 19


  19. Florida - 17


  20. Michigan - 11

The very top of these rankings don't tell you anything new. Kentucky and Syracuse are the two best teams in the country. However, North Carolina, Michigan State and Kansas are all capable of challenging them for the crown. Also, don't sleep on the Shockers of Wichita State - they will play for a Final Four berth. I will bet my life on it. The one thing I learned the most from these stats is that Michigan is not very good at rebounding, getting to the foul line, blocking shots, or limiting a team's shooting percentage...but somehow the Wolverines only allowed 61.5 points a game in a tough conference, and had a 6-4 record against the top 25. Out of all the 20 teams, the Wisconsin Badgers seem to be the most disciplined - they rarely turn the ball over, they limit opponents to 52 points a game and 41% FG. As always, the Big East teams (Marquette, Georgetown and Louisville) are enigmas. But, at the very least, my rankings will guide you in potential matchups with other teams.


Are you impressed with how HSIR works? For an additional $5.99 (added to your entry fee of $15), I can tell you all of the teams in the Elite Eight...and then you might have a chance at tying me in the standings in April. Try the HSIR Deluxe package today!

No comments:

Post a Comment