Thursday, October 1, 2009

Me & Tussin


I had a weird version of the flu recently. It was predominantly feverish, where I would experience chills and overheating constantly. It resulted in excessive sweating during sleep. I would wake up every hour or so, and feel like someone had dumped a gallon of water on me. As for the other symptoms, the cold and sore throat were pretty tame. It took me a few days to recover, and now I have this lingering cough.

I'm getting ready for a trip overseas, and I want to be rid of this thing. Apparently herbal tea and cough drops aren't enough. So I've turned to my good friend Tussin. Tussin doesn't actually cure the cough. According to drugs.com, it has a substance called detromethorpan (DXM) that messes with your brain signals, in order to suppress the cough reflex. It provides palliation (another big Harvard word - making it easier to endure symptoms).

I didn't mind taking cough syrup as a kid. Its varieties were definitely sweeter and better-tasting than the alternatives, like Nyquil or Theraflu. But I didn't remember that the doses were so small. Only 2 teaspoons? Really? It's only got 1.4% alcohol.
Now, upon further research, I see what increased doses can do to a young child or an adult. When the prescribed doses are exceeded, over-the-counter medicines (OTCs) that contain DXM can cause psychoactive effects and "complete disassociation from one's body." But, on top of the fun hallucinogenic experience, DMX abusers can feel extremely nauseous. A website operated by The Partnership For a Drug-Free America explains the side effects using a cartoon animal (who looks a lot like Stimpy). The projectile vomiting animation is a little disturbing. A former Robo-tripper testifies on the site that DXM use caused her to throw up foam, in a rabies-like tantrum. There is no indication that her head began to spin violently while spouting curses at a clergy member.
However, another ex-imbiber of Tussin reported that he broke into cars and robbed people, and was not afraid of getting shot. Cough medicine gave him a feeling of invincibility and he didn't care about other people. Perhaps that's why DXM pills are called Red Devils.
I don't get why they're called Skittles, though. Unless it has to do with the drug abusers...who can't afford illegal drugs...and they're forced to resort to a multi-colored variety of OTCs bought from grocery stores and pilfered from bathroom cabinets.

I know this must sound like an anti-drug commercial. But I can't understand why anyone would overdose on cough syrup when one of the main side effects is stomach sickness. And it's so white trash.

Says the guy who's consumed Sparks and Joose.
Don't judge me.

On special occasions, I put lime in my PBR.

1 comment:

  1. Rob, an addictive substanceOctober 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM

    A little late, but I have never experienced any of thos symptoms while "tussin"... or at least I have never heard of such reactions. I believe these people are paid actors.

    ReplyDelete