Friday, August 7, 2009

Conversations About Scrubs



I talked to a patron on the phone two times today.

The first time, he began with a ramble of thoughts. I was glad he was could spell correctly, because I could only understand every third word. He was talking about an actress, and he told me her name was S-A-R-A-H C-H-A-L-K-E. Google Images quickly alerted me that she's a cast member on the medical comedy show "Scrubs." I had seen her so many times on the show, but never knew her name. After going off on several tangents, the man finally came around to a question: "What I really wanna know is how she got her career started."
Via IMDb, I told the man she starred on "Roseanne," and before that, she had done some television work and a few movies. Chalke's first movie was called "City Boy" (1992), in which a young man is torn between his logging livelihood and the love of his life (a 16 year-old Chalke). [Maybe the film was playing off the eco-friendly vibes of "Ferngully," released the same year; yes, there's a Ferngully 2]
But this information did not satisfy the man's curiosity. He asked if there was anything else she had done before that movie. I looked further on IMDb and discovered that she had starred in NBC "More You Know" public service announcements. I assumed that she had been in one of them in 1989 because that was the date listed next to "More You Know." I later realized my mistake. She wouldn't appear in a "More You Know" ad unless she was a NBC star, and she only would have been 13 years old in 1989.
Which brings up a librarian critique of IMDb's cataloging (I know - nerd alert!). "More You Know" is assigned the date 1989, because that's the year NBC started running the ads. So I gave out false information to the man on the phone, because I thought maybe she was just an extra in one of these ads before she made it big. The truth is: Following her debut on Scrubs, Chalke has appeared in 9 "More You Know" ads, on the subjects of anti-prejudice, child abuse and neglect prevention, designated drivers, emergency planning, family communication, second anti-prejudice, seat belts, anti-smoking, and substance abuse. Damn, Sarah is a flowing fountain of wisdom.
More than you needed to know about Sarah Chalke.
Rimshot.

For my money, the above interpretation by Zach Braff is better than any of the real public service announcements. There's also this hilarious fake PSA done by a cast member of "The Office."

The second phone call had to do with the man's interest in whether or not Muhammad Ali had smoked or done steriods.

No comments:

Post a Comment