Saturday, June 6, 2009

Once Again. . . West Tacoma Keeps It Real

My morning bus ride to the library included the following passengers:

(a) a teenage girl wearing a white hooded sweatshirt with spray-painted-style lettering that read: "2 CUTE 2 POSE 4 BITCH ASS HOES"

(b) a woman who was pushing an empty stroller

(c) a young man with a teardrop tattoo

The first two sightings are pretty normal, but teardrop tattoos are rare. I always assumed that teardrop tattoos meant the person had been in prison for a minimum of two years. While this is true 96.4% of the time, they usually symbolize the loss of a loved one. And get this - an empty tear means that your brother/friend has been killed OR you unsuccessfully tried to kill someone. Whereas a filled teardrop tattoo signifies that the loved has taken his/her life OR was killed, but not murdered.
If the teardrop has an empty top and a full bottom, it means the bearer has avenged the murder of a loved one. Which makes it the most badass of crying tattoos.

Keep in mind that you can get a teardrop tattoo if you killed someone while in prison OR if your BFF was killed while you're in prison. Totally different connotations - because you could be sending a message to other convicts not to mess with yo ass OR you could simply be mourning.
What eye do you pick? Depends on which crew you run with or what you think looks better.

(In Australia, teardrop tattoos were applied to accused child molesters - so an entirely different system altogether)

2 comments:

  1. I think my stance against spelling things with letters, or against an inability to spell in general, are well documented. At least that shirt rhymed though, that shows a functional level of intellegence.

    Moving on, it turns out there was a great deal I didn't know about teardrop tattoos. I had heard that they signified prison time, but the rest was new to me. But let me ask you this: what if instead of a tear drop it is say, a rain drop, and instead of being under my eye it's on my arm? Does that signify that I had at one time planned on murdering someone but before I could procure a fire arm, said person joined the witness protection program, never to be seen again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other meanings of a tear drop tattoo: "Dear employer, please don't give me a job." :p

    ReplyDelete