Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My New Knives

There was a huge sale at Gottschalk's this past week. Everything was 50% to 80% off. Everything including the mannequins, a Levi's 501 Jeans neon sign, lighted tables, and other department store display items. The mid-tier department chain is currently liquidating, and that means plenty of bargains for consumers.
I bought a few pairs of pants, a dish rack, and a set of knives. Regularly priced at $40, the set of four Farberware knives and storage block was discounted 50%. They looked a little cheap, but I didn't think I could find a better deal. And the lifetime warranty on the back says, "This fine product is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship." I'll take your word, Farberware. Your company has been in business for 100 years and you're responsible for such innovations as the "Coffee Robot" and the "Broiler Robot." Sadly, it is not this type of robot. Just your run-of-the-mill coffee maker.
Anyways, where was I?
Oh, yeah. I'm no longer limited to one sharp knife in my kitchen.
How do I get the most out of my cutlery? And what is each knife used for? The 5" Chef Knife is obviously for heavy duty chopping.
Then there's the santoku knife and santoku parer. The 5" santoku knife is a narrow-bladed cleaver, and it's apparently ideal for slicing cheese, tomatoes, and uncooked boneless poultry and meats. It is also used for chopping and dicing onions and other vegetables. Note that it should be used with a sawing motion, not a rocking motion. The 3.5" santoku parer, on the other hand, is used for cutting smaller food items. I'm only guessing this. But I would assume you go to this knife when the other knives are dirty.
Finally, the 5" serrated utility knife. It's used for cutting smaller breads, rolls, fruits and vegetables with tough skin.
So which is the best knife to use in a fight? I'm going to pick the parer, because it's the easiest to conceal in your prison jumpsuit.

The most important part about this learning experience?
I now know how to mince garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment