Monday, March 16, 2009

May The Cat Eat You And The Devil Eat The Cat

I'm going to Doyle's Public House tomorrow night (with my brand spankin' new Tacoma friends!!). The bar is about a block away from apartment building. Doyle means "Dark/Evil Foreigner" in Gaelic, and was attributed to Danish Vikings who settled in Ireland over 1,000 years ago. Doyle's has a huge white tent in its parking lot, and until today, there was an inflated Guinness glass (about 30 feet tall). The glass wobbled in the wind all yesterday and was pelted by rain and hail. Maybe it finally gave into the elements, but I'd like to think that someone drank it.

The other bar options in town are Paddy Coyne's or O'Malley's. Coyne translates to "Wild Goose," whereas Malley is interpreted as "Prince." So...if I have to decide between a dark stranger, a wild goose, and a prince - who do I choose?
There's a joke there somewhere...

I had considered writing this entire post in Gaelic, but the free Rosetta Stone learning program is taking too long to install on my computer. I'll just wear green, drink Guiness, and perfect a few sayings. I just have to make sure I don't come off as an Irish poser.

Tuesday's games of interests:
Morehead State vs. Alabama State (play-in game for the NCAA Tournament)
Notre Dame vs. UAB (first round of the NIT) - the Fighting Irish against the green Blazers

2 comments:

  1. Screw your new friends, your old friends are where it's at! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just increased my knowledge of gaelic to 3 words. I'll remember approximately 0 of those tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete